Beckett actually gave me a few minutes to work on his costume this morning. Here’s what I’ve done so far:
First I turned the shirt inside out and cut off the sleeves just inside the seams. Then I took a picture with my camera in need if batteries.
I folded the shirt in half matching all seams to be symmetrical. then I cut it down the middle along the fold.
Starting at the cuff, I matched the sleeve of my guide jumper to one of the sleeves and marked it about an inch longer. I cut it wiith a slight curve to match the jumper’s arm hole seam.
I used the first sleeve as a pattern to carefully cut the second sleeve while holding a cranky, teething Beckett.
Cranky, teething Beckett.
I don’t have pictures for this part, but I pinned one shortened sleeve into the arm hole with right sides together. (If you’re following along, remember that there is a top and bottom to the sleeve because of how it is cut with the slight curve.) There was hole under the sleeve since the new sleeve is smaller. Once I got the sleeve pinned, I sewed up the underarm hole and tried to taper it out a little. Then I sewed on the arm.
Beckett tried on the new sleeve. It’s a little big, but poofybunchy is good for the costume and it gives him a little room to grow.
Here it is flat. You can see I need to do something to soften the weird hip point. I will probably do the other side the same way first, though, and then fix them both at the same time.
Time to break for lunch and to replace my camera batteries.