Naptime Project–Hanging Cup Holder

I have a Jeep jogging stroller that I love. It’s made walking Finn to and from school with Beckett much more pleasant. I especially love that I found it at Thrift Town for $30. Yay!

There’s only one downside to it:

IMG_4321

Too small cup holders.

Sure, it has a generously sized basket under the seat, but sometimes water bottles get leaky, and carrying anything that isn’t 100% spill proof is out of the question. Thanks to this tutorial from Sew Can Do, I was able to remedy this problem during Beckett’s nap.

I did make a few changes. Rather than using laminated cotton, mostly because I don’t have any, I used some old jeans. (Yay for upcycling!)

IMG_4326

My straw cup is bigger than most water bottles, so I made the pocket a little bigger. If you’re needing to do the same, trace a circle about .5 inches bigger than your cup. To figure out the long side of your rectangles, use the formula 2 x 3.14 x r to find the circumference. (If you’ve slept since geometry class, r is the radius or half the distance across your circle.)

IMG_4328

I also replaced the snaps with Velcro. I had both on hand, but the thought of setting snaps through two layers of denim was not appealing. I have enough trouble setting snaps through thin fabrics. Besides, I figured it’s easier to rip out stitches if the Velcro doesn’t hold than it is to pry out the snaps if they don’t work out.

I’ll get to try it out this afternoon, but so far it looks good. If it doesn’t work out on the stroller, it does fit on my elliptical machine that also needs a cup holder.

IMG_4322

First Day 2013

Today was Finn’s first day of second grade. There was a ton of first-day jitters all around, but his day went well. We left for school with plenty of time to play at the park beforehand.

IMG_4298IMG_4294

Second grader!

IMG_4296IMG_4301

B not cool with Finn joining him for a picture. Also proving he can climb playground equipment just as easily as he can scale the sofas. Or the tables. Or chairs.

IMG_4302IMG_4311

Crazy baby. Sweet photo taken by Finnian.

IMG_4312

Trying (and failing) to recapture the Forrest Gump-esque first day of Kindergarten photo.

Beckett and I passed the time doing housework, then we got adventurous and decided to bake a cake from scratch. That went surprisingly well, thanks to a chair at the sink and letting him help wash the dishes while I made the batter. It even went much better than cleaning the clutter from the dining room table. It turned out that the stacks of books and papers on the table were actually serving as Beckett deterrent. I am seriously considering removing all furniture from the house. Big empty rooms with beanbag chairs might be the only way to keep B’s feet on the floor for more than thirty seconds at a time.

Beckett’s Costume – Phase 3

Phase 3 is the accessories. Beckett was sick Friday night and Saturday morning, so I was in a rush to finish everything in between him needing mommy cuddles to feel better. I didn’t get as many step by step pictures, but really, they are just a bib and a baby hat. If you are trying to make a similar costume, there are a million different hat and bib tutorials out there by people better at writing tutorials than me.

I agonized the whole time  over how to make a hat like Mr. Stay Puft’s. I finally decided to make it easy on myself and do a simple baby hat inspired by the original. Honestly I think it looks a little wonky, so you may want to find a different way to do it. Here’s how I did Beckett’s, though.

I measured Beckett’s head (18 inches) and divided the measurement by three (6 inches). Then I traced one of Finn’s knit caps on a sheet of paper. I centered six inches on the bottom line and slimmed down Finn’s hat pattern to make my pattern piece. That probably makes no sense to anyone but me. The pattern piece is on the right side of the photo, so maybe seeing it will help.

I cut three pieces from the leftover sleeve pieces using the pattern and surged them to make the hat.

I cut a strip of navy fleece to make a band/cuff for the hat. Before sewing it to the hat, I used iron on letters to write “Stay Puft”. Then I sewed it into a circle and attached it to the hat. I sewed red ribbon to the top and tacked it so it falls properly.

 

The bib is based on a pattern I made from one of Beckett’s bibs. I squared off the bottom similar to Mr. Stay Puft’s collar. I used some random navy fabric from my stash, white ribbon for the trim, Velcro for the closure and the same red ribbon I used on the hat for the tie.

Rather than make the tie s separate piece, I knotted it and stitched it to the back of the bib.

Tomorrow I’ll take a picture of the whole outfit on my little marshmallow. For now, I’ll leave you with this:

Phase 1, Phase 2.1, Phase 2.2, Phase 2.3