Early morning

Beckett woke me up at 5:30 this morning by crawling over and laying across my back. I’m assuming it has something to do with teething, because my other likely options for a wakeful, cranky baby are 1) about to come down with the flu or 2) about to come down with strep throat.

I tried to get him back to sleep for a little longer, but it didn’t work. Instead I used the extra time to cook breakfast instead of something cold or having Finn eat at school. Since the weather was nice we walked, freeing up more time usually spent in the car. We even had time to play at the park.

Beckett’s Costume – Phase 3

Phase 3 is the accessories. Beckett was sick Friday night and Saturday morning, so I was in a rush to finish everything in between him needing mommy cuddles to feel better. I didn’t get as many step by step pictures, but really, they are just a bib and a baby hat. If you are trying to make a similar costume, there are a million different hat and bib tutorials out there by people better at writing tutorials than me.

I agonized the whole time  over how to make a hat like Mr. Stay Puft’s. I finally decided to make it easy on myself and do a simple baby hat inspired by the original. Honestly I think it looks a little wonky, so you may want to find a different way to do it. Here’s how I did Beckett’s, though.

I measured Beckett’s head (18 inches) and divided the measurement by three (6 inches). Then I traced one of Finn’s knit caps on a sheet of paper. I centered six inches on the bottom line and slimmed down Finn’s hat pattern to make my pattern piece. That probably makes no sense to anyone but me. The pattern piece is on the right side of the photo, so maybe seeing it will help.

I cut three pieces from the leftover sleeve pieces using the pattern and surged them to make the hat.

I cut a strip of navy fleece to make a band/cuff for the hat. Before sewing it to the hat, I used iron on letters to write “Stay Puft”. Then I sewed it into a circle and attached it to the hat. I sewed red ribbon to the top and tacked it so it falls properly.

 

The bib is based on a pattern I made from one of Beckett’s bibs. I squared off the bottom similar to Mr. Stay Puft’s collar. I used some random navy fabric from my stash, white ribbon for the trim, Velcro for the closure and the same red ribbon I used on the hat for the tie.

Rather than make the tie s separate piece, I knotted it and stitched it to the back of the bib.

Tomorrow I’ll take a picture of the whole outfit on my little marshmallow. For now, I’ll leave you with this:

Phase 1, Phase 2.1, Phase 2.2, Phase 2.3

Beckett’s Costume – Phase 2.3

FYI, snap tape is a pain to work with. It seemed like it would be simple to just sew it in, but I had a really hard time staying on the edge without hitting the snaps. I tried using a zipper foot as recommended, but ended up going back to my regular (zig-zag?) foot and raising it around the snaps.

Gratuitous Beckett pic.

 

This picture shows my crooked stitching and that the snaps face the inside of the jumper.

Before sewing in the other strip of snap tape I serged the edge because this side won’t be folded under. Since fleece doesn’t fray that was really unnecessary, but I love my serger and make up excuses to use it.

Pinned.

Slightly less crooked stitching.

Front completed.

 

Giant baby-head clearance opening on the back. I had planned to use snap tape,but I ran out. I decided to make it a button closure, which was way less scary than I thought. I did the same perpendicular seam at the top of the back seam as I did at the crotch to separate the button placket.

More unnecessary serging along the cut edges and a straight stitch along the inside edge of the button placket.

Mr. Marshmallow. I should have added a gusset to for diaper room. He is wearing a super thick nighttime cloth diaper in the picture, though, so it shouldn’t be as snug with a regular diaper.

Marshmallow jumper complete. On to Phase 3 – the collar.

Phase 1, Phase 2.1, Phase 2.2