Chocolate syrup is deliciously versatile. Stir it in hot or cold milk or coffee for a treat or pour over ice cream to make it even more decadent. Then there’s old fashioned sodas and baked goods made with chocolate syrup. With this chocolate syrup recipe, you can make delicious chocolate syrup with just a few basic pantry staples whenever you need it.
Sure, it’s easy to pick up a bottle from the supermarket, but with this easy chocolate syrup recipe, you can make it for a fraction of the cost and without a trip to the store. By making it, you also have control over the ingredients. Use your favorite cocoa powder, experiment with the type and amount of sugar or swap out the vanilla extract for something a little more creative to make it your own. I can totally see using peppermint extract to mimic the flavor of Andes mints. Or, if you’re a fan of Terry’s Chocolate Orange chocolates, add orange extract.
Like most of my recipes, this chocolate syrup is gluten free and dairy free.
Dangerously Easy Chocolate Syrup Recipe
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or to taste
- Mix the sugar and cocoa together in a saucepan until thoroughly combined.
- Add the water and half of the salt (1/4 teaspoon). Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Continue to boil while constantly stirring until the mixture thickens a little. (It will thicken more as it cools) This should take around 3 or 4 minutes.
- Carefully taste and add the rest of the salt, if desired.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I like using a glass jar.
While I try to write recipes as clearly as possible, it’s easy to miss a step or make assumptions. If anything is confusing, please don’t hesitate to comment with your questions. If you make this recipe, please let me know what you think.
Like this post? To make sure you never miss a future post, please sign up for my newsletter.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click through any of the Amazon links and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. There is no added cost to you.
1 thought on “Dangerously Easy Chocolate Syrup Recipe”
[…] Dangerously Easy Chocolate Syrup Recipe was originally published on SubEarthan Cottage […]